Coughing up Mucus Treatment
Coughing up mucus treatment
When to seek medical attention?
- Coughing up phlegm and malaise require medical examination.
- Prolonged coughing up phlegm (several weeks) should lead to a medical examination.
- Treatment depends on the cause of coughing up phlegm.
- Cough medicines can reduce the troublesome night cough, but be careful with small children (not for children under 1 year).
- For colds and acute bronchitis (viral infection) is recommended plenty of fluids, if necessary. cough absorbing, ephedrine-containing mixture.
- Child care: Cough is a common symptom of colds and other respiratory infections. If cough without fever, the child may go back to kindergarten when the general condition warranted. For prolonged or severe coughing up phlegm, the child should be examined for such pertussis (whooping cough).